CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

2008년 3월 7일 금요일

Blog#1: Theme of the book


The theme of Fahrenheit 451 is censorship. Throughout the book, the idea of censorship is floating around reader's mind. The ideal government in the Fahrenheit 451 censors the idea of knowledge to make people equal. Therefore, theme of the Fahrenheit 451 is important to teenagers because even in the current society the idea of banning the media and the information is becoming an issue.
Most of teenagers are open to all the information on internet, books, and televisions. In addition, the society is trying to censor the “inappropriate” information on the media. Such as dirty and violent internet sites, dangerous weapon related books or movies, and music that have cussing words. However, don’t teenagers have the “freedom” of choice? The government in the current society is putting us down by censoring all the “information” that we wanted to know. It is good that they censor the dirty information, but if there is good information then for sure there will be bad information too.
If the government is censoring the information over us, it means we are controlled by ruthless society, and do not even recognize it. The government cannot make the world perfect by censoring the information on the media, but will end up being corrupted nation. For example, Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain was banned in school because of “N” word that humiliated black kids in many schools. However, if the government tries to ban the information on the media, then it will end up censoring all the information and become idiotic nation that does not know anything at the end.
If that's true thenTeletubbies should be banned since, the characters are all the minorities in the society. Twinky-Winky is representing the gays; blue (men) and red (women) mixed and make color purple, which means homosexual. Even though he is a big man, he carries the red hand back, which emphasizes that he is gay. Dipsy represents the African Americans because he has dark face, and Laa Laa represents women, and Po represents the babies.
Therefore, censoring the media over the nation does not matter because there will always be the “bad side” when there is “good side.” It is impossible to censor the “inappropriate” information. Just like Guy Montag, there are people against their government. In addition, It is important to respect teenagers’ opinion and not controlling over us forcefully.

4 개의 댓글:

Clarion :

I agree with some points you made and disagree with others. First, I think that you're completely correct about the theme (well, that's what I thought the theme of Fahrenheit 451 was, at any rate). The novel is about censorship and it's as simple as that!

I agree that the government is trying to censor a lot of things, including Internet sites, movies, and music. I disagree with your statement that "teenagers have the freedom of choice." Do we really have the freedom to choose? If so, then I should be able to go out to the nearest supermarket, buy a pack of cigarettes and some alcohol, and waste my life away. If I had the freedom, I should be able to legally buy handguns and use them without a license. If I had the freedom, I should be able to watch 18+ movies in the theaters. The list goes on and on. However, it's clear that we certainly DON'T have the freedom of choice, and for good reason too. Teenagers (including myself, I guess) CANNOT be trusted to make their own choices on a lot of things! We're just too immature and irresponsible (though there are exceptions, *cough*).

However, we DO have the right to say whatever we want, under the First Amendment (excluding slander and libel). In fact, it's not only us who have the rights to say anything. The film makers, authors, and music artists all have that same right too. This is why I believe censorship is wrong.

I also disagree with your view on the Teletubbies. How does Teletubbies represent homosexuality? Yes, it's true that Tinky Winky is purple, but just because he's purple doesn't mean he's gay. Yes, purple is the official gay color. So what? Does that mean my sister is gay because she owns purple clothes? Does that mean that I'm gay because I own a purple crayon? Does that mean that Mr. Rogers is gay because he owns a purple cardigan? Also, your post about red + blue = purple just does not hold water. How can men and women "fusing" together represent homosexuality? I could understand if you thought that red + blue = bisexuality, but homosexuality? Just doesn't add up. Also, who cares if Tinky Winky carries a red handbag in the first place? Just because a guy carries a handbag doesn't mean he's gay.

Overall, you had some good thoughts. I agreed with some of your points, and I disagreed with others. However, everyone has the right to freedom of speech, including you and me. Keep up the good work!

익명 :

you did great man you rock

익명 :

what an amazing thoughts ...... did you really write this? I totally agree with the teletubies and your ideas... I think I will become fan of your blog and I will comment on your post every entry!

TWIG-S :

David Song, I totally agree with your theme, Censorship, its relating to mine, but what about it? Is there any more imformations about it? What do you mean by censorship? isn't it the way of literature? I would like much more imformation about censorship. I also think that there is something wrong with your statement. Freedom of choice? That freedom of choice might lead the society of teenangers to a dfferent way where parents don't want them. The censored freedom of us teenanger is just for our good, so I disagree with your statement that you have made, although I totally agree with your theme.